eRESTORE is a data restore application for Smart-Ex® 02 device. It allows to backup device data like Contacts, Messages, Call Logs, Calendar, Wi-Fi Configuration, Wallpaper, Bookmarks and Applications Data. The backup file can be shared via GMAIL, Google Drive, etc. or can be copied to a removable SD card on the device. The backed-up data can be restored on the original device after a factory data reset. The device data is stored in an encrypted format and a key needs to be entered for making or restoring the backup.
Phone storage (file, photos, videos, etc.) can be transferred to SD card during the backup process. It can be later transferred back to device storage during the restore process. Due to size limitations, these files are simply copied to the SD card without being encrypted. There exists an option to select the folders that have to be restored.
App data backup feature only takes settings, database and application related data files. It will not backup APK file. It is recommended to re-install all the earlier installed applications on the device before restore process.
As an additional safe-guard, eRESTORE App will ensure that battery level is at least 30 percent before the backup or restore procedures are initiated. In case the battery levels are below this threshold, it will show a dialog “Battery too low to start backup/restore process. Connect charger to continue”.
The time taken to backup device data (excluding Folders) depends upon the number of Applications installed on the device. It can take anywhere from a minute to 10-12 minutes. The transfer of data on phone storage to SD card will also depend upon the size of the files. On average it would take 2-3 minutes per GB of data.
The next section below describes the steps to create backup and restore device data. It also highlights some of the restrictions & limitation of the App.
Create Local Backup
- Select the “Backup” option from the application left navigation drawer.
- New screen with last backup information along with the options to select the data to be backed-up will be presented to the user. Files and Folders backup are not supported in local Backup & Restore.
Select the contents you wish to backup locally, and press “CREATE BACKUP”
On tap of “App Data”, it will show the list of application available on the device. Select the application you wish to backup and then Press “DONE” to continue. Apps which don’t allow backup will be greyed out. For e.g. “Push To Talk app“
- “Phone Storage” feature helps user to transfer Phone storage contents to SD card. On tap of Phone Storage, it will show the list of folders. Select the folders you want to copy to the SD card. This feature will be greyed out in absence of SD card.
Note: Backup file doesn’t contain these selected folders due to the size limit. These can be only copied to removable SD card.
- On tap of “COPY TO SD CARD”, it will request user to navigate to SD card directory and “SELECT” the path where selected files need to be copied
- On tap of “CREATE BACKUP”, it will prompt user to provide the “Access Key” to be used to encrypt the backup data
- User can provide a key of its own choice (no restriction on the type and size)
- On providing access key, eRESTORE will start local backup process
- This will prompt user to confirm the App Data backup. User can provide a key of its own choice (App data backup needs to be encrypted separately)
- Once the backup process is complete, a success message will be displayed
- After backup completion, this will prompt user to export the backed up file. User can select “YES” button to export, followed by export options. User can also export later by using “EXPORT” button.
- The last backup information will be updated on the screen. User can select “EXPORT” button to send/upload the backup file via GMAIL, drive, etc. User can also copy the backup file to external SD card mounted on the device
- This will prompt user to choose the export option
- This will prompt user when “Share” option is selected. User can send/upload the backup file via GMAIL, drive, etc
- This will prompt when “Copy to SD card” option is selected. User can navigate to SD card directory and “SELECT” the path where backup file needs to be copied
Restore from Backup
- Select the “Restore” option from the application left navigation drawer
- eRESTORE application will prompt a message to the user to select the backup file from device storage.
- Select “OK” will take the user to the file explorer from where user can select the backup file, which must have been copied to SD card or downloaded to the device via GMAIL, drive, etc.
- Once the backup file is selected, user needs to provide the access code, which was used to create the backup.
- If the provided access code is correct and eRESTORE application is able to decrypt the file, restore process will start
- This will prompt to change the default SMS app to eRESTORE app. User needs to tap “YES” button. In case of “No”, messages can’t be restored.
- If the backup file contains App Data, this will prompt user to confirm the App Data restore. User needs to provide the same key which was used while taking the App Data backup (App data backup needs to be decrypted separately)
- “RESTORE MY DATA” will restore your backed up app’s data to the device. We recommend users to re-install all the previous installed applications on the device before this process.
- This will prompt user to restore folders from SD card. Selected folder will be copied to Phone storage. User can navigate to SD card directory and “SELECT” the folder which needs to be copied to Phone storage. This option is available only when SD card is inserted in the device.